Q & A Individual and Group Counseling
Question: How Does a Student See a Counselor?
Answer: Students may see the school counselor based on a:
- Request of a counselor
- Parent referral
- Administrative referral
- Teacher or other staff referral
- Referral by friend(s)
Question: How and Why do Parents Contact the School Counselor?
Answer: Parent might contact the school counselor about:
- Concerns over student achievement
- Family health problems
- New school orientation or concerns
- Test interpretation
- Discussing special needs of their child
- Early discussion of potential crises
- Family difficulties or concerns
Question:What are some example situations in which the School Counselor can help families and students.
Answer: The School Counselor can help in the following Situations:
- My parents are getting a divorce. I dont know whats going to happen.
- I'm new here and I'm having trouble making friends.
- I have a lot of difficulty dealing with my stepchild.
- Fred scores high on standardized tests but hardly makes passing grades in school.
- Karen always tells me she doesn't have homework, but I found out she isn't doing it.
- I need some ideas for helping students to get along with each other.
- Bill hasn't been himself lately. He seems to preoccupied with something.
- I have a bad temper and need to learn how to control it.
- Mary has been absent from school an awful lot this year.
- My dad gets so angry when hes been drinking.